HANDGUN SAFETY COURSE EXAMINATION
Name: ________________________________ Date: _____________
This written examination must be completed by yourself without any assistance from anyone. You may use your notes and all documentation given to you during the course. Write all your answers on this question sheet in the spaces provided. You may use the back of the questionnaire if you wish to elaborate on your answer.
(In the web site version of this exam, questions that appear as statements are True or False questions.)
Note: Although the questions are written in English, your answers may be written in French.
- It is permissible to point a firearm at someone as long as you know that it is unloaded and safe.
- You need not wear eye or ear protection when on the ranges.
- When you are at the Club your membership card must be worn visibly at all times.
- List four major infractions which could be committed while on the range.
- The muzzle of your handgun may only be pointed in three directions/places. What are they?
- If there is a delay between the striking of the primer and the discharge of the cartridge, what is it called?
- If an insufficiently strong charge causes a bullet to lodge in the barrel, what is it called?
- Briefly describe how one corrects the situations encountered in question # 6 & 7...
- Complete the following statement: "You may touch another person's firearm as long as you...
- Before you hand over a gun to another person you must ensure that the gun is. . .
- You may use any holster on our ranges except for one kind. Name or describe it.
- You must keep your finger off the trigger unless you are ready to shoot on the range or dry fire in the safety area.
- The Chief Range Officer or designated person has absolute authority on the range. If you question the instructions or practices of the range officer, your only option is to leave the range, and appeal directly to the Club Executive through the President.
- Under all circumstances, your handguns must be brought to the safety area in a locked container, and you must return to the safety area to check your guns to ensure that they are unloaded, individually locked and locked in a secure container before putting them back in your car.
- You may bring ammunition to the safety area, but you must not handle it there.
- It is permitted to practice dry draws and dry firing in the safety area.
- You may handle your pistol or revolver when someone is ahead of the firing line as long as it is unloaded.
- You may not advance beyond the firing line until it is declared safe or upon the order of a range officer if one is present. In a few sentences, explain what is meant by a "safe line".
- When you are not using a holster, what is the procedure to bring your handgun(s) from the safety area to the firing line?
- List five parts of the revolver:
- Making sure that at least two of the parts which you are about to list distinguish the pistol from the revolver, list five parts of the self-loading pistol.
- When the handguns are placed down on the table, how are the actions made safe in terms of the cylinder and/or the slide?
- Generally, you should shoot from behind a table on the firing line unless you are wearing a holster.
- 24. If you don't have a holster, you may carry your handgun in your belt.
- What are two ways whereby you may check to ensure that the chambers are empty?
- If your slide does not remain open or is insecure when you've finished shooting, what precaution must you take to make sure that it remains open, without harming the finish of your gun?
- No handgun is to be touched if anyone is in front of the firing line.
- You are permitted to carry more than one gun on your person.
- Usually, shooting is done on paper targets or metal targets provided for that purpose. Is it permitted to shoot at a soft drink can, a piece of wood or a plastic container filled with water?
- List some hazardous materials which you may not shoot at.
- When your pistol or revolver malfunctions, describe in some detail how you must clear the jam and make the firearm safe.
- Which of the following ammunition may be used on our ranges? Circle the correct answer(s):
||full metal jacket
- List the four components (parts) of the modern metallic cartridge:
- When is it acceptable to put you finger inside the trigger guard?
- At what time may you start shooting in the morning?
- Every time you come to shoot at our range you must bring your original permit to carry and not a photocopy.
- You may shoot at groundhogs or other pests with your handguns.
- How many weeks before its expiry date must you send in a copy of your carry permit and your membership renewal?
- It is permitted to shoot rifles or shotguns if you get permission from a senior member of the Club.
- If you can't find the standard target supports, just use the I.P.S.C. props.
- You don't have to pick up your garbage, we have someone come and do it for you every week.
- Your carry permit may only lapse for how many days before the OPP requires Ontario residents to undergo a refresher safety course?
- Give two reasons why it is necessary for you to sign in and indicate the time and date of your shooting session.
- How may hours of volunteer work are you expected to put in, if called upon to help, and where do you record that time?
This page was